Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Birth of a New Era: McO Stencils

This company was created by me! (Kristina McOmber), at the urging of my lovely friends, and without their support and nagging, this company would still be trapped in a sketchbook.
The idea behind McO Stencils began with a couple sketches in my high school art class. I wanted to put some of my stencils onto shirts to wear and look spiffy, but I was too cheap to buy new shirts, so I dug out some old, blank shirts I hadnt worn in a while and wouldnt wear again as they were, and stenciled onto those. But then, many of my friends and even strangers approached me to ask where I had bought my newly stenciled shirts, and offered to pay me to make them the same thing once I told them I had made them with stencils.
Lightbulb!
Now, since I consider myself to be an environmentally aware person (I work at an environmental education museum's summer camp, my major is Conservation Biology), I want to promote the idea of REUSE - don't throw away a perfectly wearable shirt, despite its hideousness - improve it and fall in love with it again!
However, if you find yourself devoid of reusable clothing, it'll cost you only $7 plus a little bit of an extra wait to get a brand new shirt with your stencil.

My inspiration: whimsical musings

As I type this blog post, I am 17 years old, less than a month away from 18, and less than 2 weeks away from moving into my college dorm for my freshman year at Pomona College in Claremont, California.

Thank you Ms. Katcher for being such an inspiration and not getting mad at me when I did stencils instead of class assignments! I owe my return to my love of art all to you.

No comments: